Aptana is a wonderful tool for web design.
Table of contents
Aptana is a wonderful tool for web design. I have been using it for years for my personal web sites and my professional ones. I have been trying to get more people turned on to it, as well. When I installed Fedora 10 recently, I didn't want to install Aptana, as it has, in the past, FooBar'd my Eclipse installation. However, I am learning Ruby (on rails), and want to install RadRails, which means I need Aptana. I thought about installing Aptana standalone, but don't want to start up a new Eclipse platform just for my rails development. So -
First, I tried to install Aptana normally, as an eclipse plugin, several times. However, some parts of it refused to work and the "My Aptana" page never showed up. After assessing this problem, I thought there may be conflicts with some of the plugins Fedora installs through yum. Ihad installed all the Eclipse plugins that my yum repositories offered.
So I removed all the plugins using yum. Since I needed those plugins, I had to get the update sites to install in Eclipse. Here are the update sites for the rpms, for convenience. You can get the same information by checking the Fedora Eclipse project wiki at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse.
# Keep Installed:
# Install Using Aptana:
- Subclipse (SVN Integration)
- Update Site: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x
- Eclipse Git
- Update Site: http://www.jgit.org/update-site/
# Install Using The Update Manager:
- Upload Site: http://download.eclipse.org/releases/ganymede
- eclipse-cdt* (C and C++ Development)
- eclipse-emf* (Model and Model Development)
- eclipse-gef* (Graphical editors and frameworks)
- eclipse-jdt* (Java development)
- eclipse-mylyn* (Collaboration Tools)
- eclipse-pde.x86_64 (Java Development/Eclipse plug-in development environment)
Maven Integration for Eclipse
- Update Site: http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/update-dev/ (stable development)
- Update Site: http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/update/ (stable)
Linux Tools for Eclipse
- Update Site: http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update/
- Update Site: http://eclipse-cs.sourceforge.net/update
Eclipse Perl Integration
- Update Site: http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/updates/testing
Babel (milti-lingual support)
- Update Site: http://download.eclipse.org/technology/babel/update-site/ganymede
Photran (fortran support)
- Update Site: http://download.eclipse.org/technology/photran/updates/eclipse3.4cdt5.0
- eclipse-photran* (requires cdt plugin)
- Update Site: http://phpeclipse.sourceforge.net/update/stable/1.2.x/
- Update Site: http://pydev.sourceforge.net/updates/
QuickRex (regular expression editor)
- Update Site: http://www.bastian-bergerhoff.com/eclipse/features
Now you are ready to install the Aptana plugin, using this update site: http://update.aptana.com/install/studio/3.2/. I recommend installing Aptana before installing any of the previously mentioned plugins, for best compatability.
That's it and good luck!